SAS is expanding traffic to and from Skellefteå Airport with more seats and larger aircraft. The initiative will start on October 25 in connection with the winter program 2026/2027 and will represent a significant increase in capacity compared to the previous winter.
After a period of high occupancy on flights to and from Skellefteå, SAS has chosen to increase capacity. Several departures previously operated with smaller turboprop aircraft will be operated with larger Airbus A320s and Embraer 195s.
According to Skellefteå Airport, the investment is driven by a growing need for air connections, partly as a result of new and ongoing industrial establishments and expected regional growth.
The airport says passenger traffic is now approaching pre-coronavirus levels. Northvolt's bankruptcy led to a temporary decline in travel, but the trend is said to have turned around.
– We see increased interest in travel to and from Skellefteå and are pleased to be able to strengthen our offering in the region. Good accessibility and strong connections are important for both people and businesses, says Henrik Winell, Vice President Network at SAS.
Embraer 195 is put on the line
From the winter program 2026/2027, SAS will use Embraer 195 on certain flights to and from Skellefteå, among other things. The Airbus A320 will also replace smaller turboprop aircraft on several flights.
Skellefteå Airport and SAS have been in discussions for some time about the need for greater capacity.
– During the past year, flights to and from Skellefteå have had a high occupancy rate, and we have therefore had an active dialogue with SAS about the need for increased capacity. I am very pleased with today's announcement, which means more airline seats and better accessibility for the entire Skellefteå region, says Robert Lindberg, CEO of Skellefteå Airport.
The extended winter service starts on October 25th








